The Burlington picture theatre was situated in upper William St approximately opposite St Marys school between Keppel and Piper streets.
The site was first occupied by the Brittania mill and these days is a car yard.
“The Burlo”, together with the City Theatre, was especially popular in the forties and fifties. Main features, including the ever-reliable “cowboy movies” plus Universal, Fox and Cinesound newsreels with items of current interest were shown.
The Burlington first operated in lower-William beginning in 1907. It was an open-air theatre with a 1900 audience capacity.
Mr W. Kelly and Mr F. Butler were the proprietors. Patrons sat on wooden benches and as films of that era were silent, a band played appropriate music.
By the 1920s, the Burlington had moved to upper William. During its peak, matinees commenced at 1.45pm and the evening show at 7.45. Bookings could be made at the Central Agency in Howick St or by phoning 270.
Saturdays, especially the matinee, seemed to be a favourite time to go to the “Burlo”, with intermission an opportunity to go next door to the shop to buy lollies and trade comics with friends.
In September 1952, the theatre changed its name to The Tudor and people may recall the medieval display in the foyer and the distinctive red and black colours.
Sadly, both the City Theatre and the Burlington closed due to competition from TV and other entertainment outlets.
Both were demolished and while the upper William Street site went on to be a car sales firm, the City Theatre land has remained essentially unused for decades.