Fresh flowers and leafy plants bring beauty and colour to our gardens and our homes.
Not all flowers and plants, though, are safe for cats to be around. Some can even prove to be deadly if they are chewed or ingested.
Toxins in some plants have varying degrees of affect in your cat. For example, a nibble on a geranium can cause skin problems, itchiness and dermatitis, drinking the water in a vase of chrysanthemums may cause vomiting and a peace lily could cause kidney failure and/or death.
It is very important to be aware of which plants, indoors and out, could make your cat sick. Even cut flowers in an arrangement placed somewhere in the house needs to be considered.
If toxic flowers are in the arrangement and your cat brushes up against it and proceeds to groom and bathe itself later, your feline pal may become ill.
The most common plants that are toxic to your cat are:
• Lilly – very poisonous. Symptoms may include lethargy, depression, difficulty urinating, kidney problems.
• Oleander – If eaten, your cat may drool, have difficulty breathing and may die. Autumn Crocus – symptoms could include drooling, vomiting, shock and damage to internal organs.
• Daffodils (particularly the bulbs) – if ingested these pretty yellow flowers will cause pain, vomiting and seizures.
• Azaleas, Cyclemen, Hydrangea, Morning Glory, Tulip, Iris, Mother-In-Law Tongue, Poinsettia And Asparagus Fern can also be harmful to cats.
Kittens may be most at risk due to their boundless energy, love of mischief and need to explore, play and chew.
With spring typically the flower season, what better time than any to get out into the garden and start identifying those poisonous plants before your cat does