Eczema (also known as atopic dermatitis) affects the skin causing redness, itching, oozing and over time rough hard thickened skin can occur. Sounds really uncomfortable doesn’t it?
The skin in people who suffer from eczema is different from those of us who do not have eczema. The skin has less water retaining properties and therefore, moisture is easily lost from the skin causing it to dry out.
Eczema can get better or worse over the space of days, weeks and/or months. When eczema worsens it is called an ‘eczema flare’. Eczema can occur during all stages of life:
– Infantile Eczema: usually starts in the first six months of life. Symptoms include red itchy/dry skin. Infantile eczema usually improves significantly between ages 2-5 years.
– Childhood Eczema: may follow or can start for the first time between 2-4 years of age and usually improves with age. The rash/dryness are usually found in the creases of the elbows, behind knees and may also involve the face/ears/neck. Some children out grow their eczema, however most will have the tendency for dry/sensitive skin into adulthood.
– Adult Eczema: although the condition tends to improve in middle life and is unusual in the elderly, it can still occur. Symptoms include dry/itchy/reddened and sometimes weeping skin in the elbows/behind knees /wrists/neck and ankles.
Having eczema means that when the skin barrier is damaged, moisture evaporates and this makes the skin more susceptible to allergens and irritants. This irritation can trigger the skin to release certain chemicals that make the skin itchy.
If you scratch, more chemicals are released and the skin feels even itchier. This ‘scratch and itch’ cycle can be most distressing. Know triggers for eczema in some people include dry skin, scratching, swimming in chlorinated pools, playing in sand, food intolerances, temperature changes, stress and irritants such as perfume/soap/chemicals and woolen fabrics.
Eczema can be extremely challenging and difficult to manage. I know this first hand because my eldest daughter Quinn has struggled with eczema from a young age.
I tried everything to try to ease her symptoms from over the counter and prescribed steroid creams to olive oil baths, food intolerance tests and every lotion and potion on the market but nothing seemed to ease her symptoms.
That was until I found the amazing ‘Itchy Baby Co’ products online several months ago while browsing through Facebook. I began using the Itchy Baby Co products immediately on my daughter and noticed huge results within just a few days. We have continued using the Itchy Baby Co products as part of our daily routine since then and haven’t looked back.
Itchy Baby Co products are all natural and have been developed in Australia by Australian pharmacist Mums.
Itchy Baby Co aims to support families to effectively manage eczema and all the challenges it brings allowing better quality of life for sufferers through effective and natural products. Their product range includes:
– Bath Soaks: Bathe daily using the bath soaks to give skin the most amount of moisture to help relieve itchiness and dryness. There are four bath soaks currently available (natural oatmeal, natural oatmeal with goats milk, natural oatmeal with goats milk plus organic coconut and natural oatmeal with marshmallow root).
– Moisturiser: Moisturise immediately after bathing with the ‘Natural Oatmeal Moisturiser with Organic Coconut’ while the skin is damp. This particular moisturiser melts into the skin and helps to lock in the goodness from the bath soaks, as well as mixing with the skins barrier to stop water loss and keep triggers out.
– Scalp Oil: The ‘Natural Scalp Oil’ is packed with the goodness of oat extract, which forms a barrier to trap hydration and help prevent water loss. The natural properties of coconut can prevent the skin flaking and calms itchiness.
– Face Mask: The ‘Natural Face Mask’ is packed with goodness to hydrate the skin and targets itch and irritation. This is a NEW product available in late August that I look forward to trying. With added Vitamin E it aims to heal and strengthen the skin.
For more information about Itchy Baby Co products visit their website www.itchybabyco.com.au.
It’s Competition Time!
Thanks to Julia from Itchy Baby Co I’m thrilled to be able to offer one of my readers the chance to win an Itchy Baby Co product prize pack (including an assortment of bath soaks, moisturiser and scalp oil – valued at over $60)!
1. Simply follow @itchybabyco, @mumslife_withmummacakes and @bathurstcitylife on Instagram
2. Email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us in 25 words or less which product from the range you would love to try most and how it would help your family
Competition closes on 23 August 2017 at 9pm AEST. The winner will be chosen by Julia from Itchy Baby Co and the prize pack will be posted directly to the winner. Good luck!
Mumma C xx